Monday, October 13, 2008
Volunteer at C.A.R.E
For my AHSC 383 class I had to voluteer at a centre that helped people woth disabilities, so I chose to go to the C.A.R.E centre. Being my first time helping people with disabilities I was very apprehensive at first. Their were many things running through my mind before I started my voluteer job, such as am I going to have enough time in my days to help out efficently, Are the students going to like me, will I unintentionally offend anybody and most importantly am I equipped for this job mentalll and phyically. On my first day at the C.A.R.E centre I realize I had put way to much pressure on myself. Working at the C.A.R.E centre is more than just going there to pass my class. It is a place where I spend time with people who I appreciate spending my time with, it is not just another schedule event in my day, it is a time I look forward to. At the C.A.R.E centre I learned a lot from the students that attend, such as I have to look beyond their disabilites and focus on their capabilites. When I first got to the C.A.R.E centre I would ask the instructure how do I this and that for the students, and he would reply ask the student. I was automatically sterotyping the student because of their physical disabilities unintentionally. However I have learned form my mistakes, and my questions are always directed to the student I am interacting with so we both are comfortable. After completing my AHSC 383 class I will difffent continue to volunteer at the C.A.R.E centre i have made so much more friends it would be ridiculous to not go make. This just goes to show that work can be considered leisure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment