Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Blog Summary #2

Over the past few weeks I truly believe that I have become more leisure educated, I have learned new ways to experience leisure and I also learned how to distinguish leisure from recreation. A lot of Cultural values play a big part in what I consider to be leisure, we all come from different place so what is leisure to me might not be leisure to someone else. Leisure as defined in class is a state of mind, freely chosen that results in intrinsic feelings of happiness, satisfaction, pleasure, and/or enjoyment. To me it is very important to experience an intrinsic feeling of satisfaction when doing an activity, chore, or just relaxing. I have learned the leisure comes in many different shapes, forms and intensity levels.

Culture plays a major part on why I consider certain activities to be leisure such as braiding hair. I think of the talents others have like singing, dancing, drawing, being athletic do they portray these talents because they were born with them or because they were force to become the best at this activity. My talent is braiding hair, it is definitely a talent that just goes from generation to generation. It is rare to see a young African American/Canadian child without there hair in braids, it almost like a world wide rule that young African American/Canadian girls get there hair braided. Braids are a sense of purity in the young culture. In away it restricted me from my independence, but it provide me with a talent that I cherish. Through my blog pictures indicate I have fun creating different designs in other people hair. The design also express the mood I am in, it could be anywhere from annoyed to feeling very up beat. When I’m up beat I will be up to doing a creative design, if I am annoyed I am only willing to give a basic design.

I have learn to appreciate different types of leisure with various people. My volunteer work with C.A.R.E has taught me a lot about myself and others it is here where I feel I learn the value of leisure. Working with people who have disabilities has should be that know matter the situation, skill level or disadvantage someone faces there is away to get through it. Having a positive attitude to everyone and everything can make life so much easier. Also looking at people abilities rather their disabilities I have learn can make it a better experience for everyone.

Communication played a major part in all my blogs it was through verbal communication was able to get instruction and voice my opinions. While bowling we had to assist the students with the ramp, so we would have to ask were they wanted us to move it. Some of the lady’s and gentlemen at the C.A.R.E are not able to communicate verbally, therefore nonverbal communication was used to tell us were they wanted the ramp. Through communication I was able to tell that everyone including myself was having a good time; so people had smiles, some were laugh, giving high fives, and other just said”this fun.” I have learned that it is important to “interact socially during leisure Datillo 2008” so we can make new friends as I do when I braid hair. Sometimes people who I do not know ask me to braid their hair. If I were to just braid there hair and not socialize with them we would not be able to build a relationship and “develop a friendship Datillo 2008.”

1 comment:

Jessica A said...

Nice blog summary. Expresses important ideas about leisure in your life and is related to course content. 8/10