Being in this class has actually taught me a lot about myself it did not only teach me how to appreciate leisure but to appreciate myself through leisure. Before this class i found myself staying home doing homework and spend most of my time on the Internet trying to make the time go by. My life was essentially boring because I did not take the time to see what was out there for me to do. however, this class is based solely on Leisure and how to be more leisure educated, staying at home and doing nothing was not going to cut it.
"Through leisure education, individuals can develop and enhance their knowledge, interest, skills, abilities, and behaviour to a level where leisure can make a significant contribution to the quality of their lives" (Dattilo, 2008)
This semester has taught me to engage in activities that I would not engage in on a regular bases. These activities included, attending a Hockey game and going camping. Before this semester when ask to even watch a hockey game I would without hesitation decline the request because I believe I knew I would not enjoy myself. Through this class I learned that I have to take chances to truly no what I enjoy doing. Essentially I learned how to appreciate different forms of leisure, "understand" the different benefits that come from different forms of leisure and the "flexibility" that comes from different forms of leisure. Such as camping is not all about hiking, getting to know nature but it can be use to build relationships and learn new things which can be beneficial for the future
Also through the semester I was able to be aware of myself through leisure. In my past blog I talked about my love of braiding hair. I had never looked at braiding hair a leisure experience it was just something I did when I had time. I had realize that I braided hair to release my creativity in the only way I knew how. Braiding hair has been past down from generation to generation in my family. Therefore when I braid hair I feel a connection to my roots, my culture, and my family. Although I use to HATE getting my hair braid in the past I can look back now an appreciate it and understand why I had to get my hair braided. I know when I have children I want to share these skills with them as well
The most important aspect I have taking form this class is interacting socially during leisure. I believe without interaction an leisure experience is not longer leisurely. Being able to use verbal and non-verbal communication when partaking in an activity is important everyone has different levels of communications skills and it is imperative to include everybody. Volunteering at the C.A.R.E centre as open my eyes to a lot of new things. At the C.A.R.E centre their are students there who have a variety of different disabilities including speech and mobility, before I got to know the students I had the mind set that I would not be able to understand when they talk. After taking the time to get to know everyone and understand their disabilities and abilities I was able understand how to communicate with everyone in different was. for example there is a lady names Gioto who use her eyes to spell words, or Nama who has a text-to-speech keyboard for communication. Understanding the capabilities of the people at the C.A.R.E centre has taught me how to socialize with everyone at the C.A.R.E centre and develop life long relationships. Although the people at the care centre have various constraint it is important that are able to participate is leisurely experiences as well.
"Although leisure education is important to everyone. it assumes an added significance in the lives of individuals who are experiencing constraints to their leisure participation"
My attitude towards leisure has changed tremendously before I did not even view anything I did as a leisure experience however being leisure educate I have learned that there is more out there than just television and doing the same old boring things I use to do. I have expanded myself to look at things differently. Before I would never want to go hiking or snowboarding or anything of that nature but now I know before I died there are much more things I want to experience, and I now have the drive and determination to experience things I have yet to experience. And to pass on my learnings to friends and family
The significance of leisure education is that it help me understand that leisure is a "state of mind" and to "not judge a book by its cover" in order to truly understand different forms of leisure I have to be open to knew things. I should not automatically assume I am not going to like an experience i should partake and them make my decison afterwards.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Nice blog summary. Expresses important ideas about leisure in your life and is related to course content.8.5/10
Post a Comment